The first few times I came across the term “ugly sweaters,” I was confused. I don’t understand fashion, to say the least, but over the years, I have learned that people prefer to wear what is beautiful. When I saw advertisements in which they emphasized how unique the sweaters are or wrote sentences like “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” I began to understand the story a little more. Then I also remembered all those appearances of the sweaters on the screen, big or small, and I realized that there could very well be a cultural phenomenon here, no less than a fashion trend.
During our research on horror products in general and scary fashion items in particular, we come across many unusual designs. There is no doubt that scary ugly sweaters also meet this condition, especially the ones showing – if you will – that ugly is the new beautiful. Here is everyting you need to know about horror ugly sweater origin, tips and current sellers.
The Usual Suspects: The Cosbys
The ugly sweater phenomenon is a popular trend of wearing Christmas-themed sweaters considered tacky, gaudy, or in bad taste. The sweaters often feature excessive embellishments, such as tinsel, reindeer, Santa Clauses, candy canes, elves, presents, etc. The phenomenon originated in the 1980s when such sweaters were often seen on sitcoms and worn by celebrities. The term “ugly sweaters” was coined to capture their distinctiveness, not visual appeal.
The origin of this tradition is still being determined. Still, some sources suggest that it got a clear inspiration from the cheesy and colorful sweaters worn by TV personalities and celebrities in the 1980s and 1990s and sometimes appeared on the screen. Yap, Like “The Cosby Show”. “The Cosby Show,” a popular sitcom from 1984 to 1992, influenced the ugly sweaters phenomenon. Before turning his life into a horror movie, Bill Cosby, the show’s star, wore many colorful and eccentric sweaters known as “Cosby sweaters.” These sweaters were often made by a Dutch designer named Koos van den Akker (“Master of couture collage”), who used patchwork and collage techniques to create unique patterns. Many people admired Cosby’s style and started to wear similar sweaters, especially during the holiday season.
According to some web search results, there are many TV series and movies that featured characters wearing ugly sweaters; some are even horror movies:
- Halloween (2018): Karen Strode (daughter of Luari Strode) wears a Christmas sweater on the night of terror.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000): Jim Carrey’s Grinch with the itty bitty heart also has itty bitty taste in clothing
- Bridget Jones’ Diary (2001): Bridget thought Mark Darcy (Colin Firth) might be Mr. Right… and then she saw his sweater.
- Love, Actually (2003): John’s sweater looks like a peacock mated with an American flag.
- Ugly Betty (2006): Betty’s tacky snowman sweater explains the show’s title.
- Step Brothers (2008): This Will Ferrell-John C. Reilly comedy proves that fashion sense – and lack of it – runs in the family.
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Charlie and Mac have their unique ways of celebrating Christmas.
- Modern Family (2009 and 2011): The Dunphy family shows off their ugly sweaters in a video message and a holiday party.
- How I Met Your Mother (2014): Lily proves her love for Marshall by being a moose’s caboose.
- Two and a Half Men (2014): Alan’s sweater is an atrocity that upstages Santa’s sled.
- Hot in Cleveland (2014): Betty White’s Elka teases her besties with her witty sweater.
- Arrow (2015): Felicity’s mom gives Hanukkah some equal time with her sweater1.
- Harry Potter series: Miss Weasley makes ugly sweaters for the whole family, and also Harry Potter gets one
In the early 2000s, the phenomenon became a widespread festive tradition, with people hosting and attending ugly sweater parties where the dress code requires an ugly sweater. Some of these parties also raise money for charity, such as the Original Ugly Christmas Sweater party in Vancouver, which claims to be the birthplace of the ugly sweater party.
This popular event celebrates the tradition of wearing festive and tacky sweaters during the holiday season. It was started in 2002 by two university students, Chris Boyd and Jordan Birch, who claim to be the first to organize such a party. The party has been held annually at the Commodore Ballroom, a famous venue in downtown Vancouver, and has attracted thousands of people over the years. They also trademarked “ugly Christmas sweater” and “ugly Christmas sweater party” in Canada.
Ugly Sweaters Are More Than Fashion
The ugly sweater trend has become a cultural icon, with many celebrities, fashion designers, and ordinary people embracing the look. The ugly sweaters phenomenon is a way of expressing individuality, humor, and nostalgia through clothing. The ugly sweaters phenomenon celebrates the holiday season with satire, irony, and nostalgia.
People wear ugly sweaters on various occasions, especially on the third Friday of December each year, known as National Ugly Christmas Sweater Day. Today, people across the U.S. and other countries celebrate the festive season by wearing the most hilarious and hideous sweaters they can find. Ugly sweaters are also famous for Christmas parties, office gatherings, family reunions, and other events where people want to express their humor, irony, and nostalgia through clothing.
What About Horror Ugly Sweather?
Horror ugly sweaters, as you prabably guesses already, took the phenomenon to the horror world. They have scary images on them, like terrifying creatures and more. Sometimes, they have horror icons we all like to be afraid of.
Scary, ugly sweaters are often worn by fans of the horror genre or by people who want to add a dark twist to their festive attire. You can find horror ugly sweaters easily online, as we will see soon. You can make your own by customizing a regular sweater with horror-related decorations. Some examples of horror ugly sweater are:
- A sweater with a skull and bone pattern inspired by the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
- A sweater with the face of Ghostface from the Scream franchise and the phrase “What’s your favorite holiday movie?”.
- A sweater with the image of Krampus, the horned creature from European folklore who punishes naughty children at Christmas.
- A sweater with the “Ghostbusters” logo and the words “Who you gonna call?”.
- A sweater with portraits of famous horror movie villains, such as Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Pennywise, and more
Horror fans should buy ugly sweaters for several reasons. Ugly sweaters are a fun and festive way of celebrating the holiday season with humor, irony, and nostalgia. Scary or funny ugly sweaters allow horror fans to express their personality and interests while also joining in the spirit of Christmas. Ugly sweaters can also be a great conversation starter, as they can attract the attention of other horror fans or curious people.
Horror Ugly sweater is a creative and unique way of showing appreciation for the horror genre. Horror fans can choose from designs featuring themes, characters, or images from their favorite horror movies, books, or games. Horror fans can also make their ugly sweaters by customizing a regular sweater with horror-related decorations.
In some version of a scary horror ugly Christmas sweater, it’s not only about the look. Ugly sweaters are a cozy and comfortable way of dressing up for any occasion. Horror fans can wear them to parties, gatherings, or at home. Ugly sweaters are made of soft and warm materials, such as wool, cotton, or acrylic. You can wear them with jeans, leggings, or skirts, depending on your preference. And yap, they can also be very sexy.
Where To Buy Horror Ugly Sweater?
According to our web search, there are some discounts on ugly sweaters on Ugly Sweaters Day 2023, which is on December 15, 2023. Here are some of the websites that offer discounts:
You can find a variety of ugly sweaters on Amazon, including horror ugly sweaters. The sweaters come in different designs, colors, and sizes. Some have coupons you can apply at checkout to save up to 20% off the original price. You can also get free delivery on orders over $35 or join Prime for faster delivery and more benefits.
This website specializes in fun and festive products, including ugly sweaters. You can find exclusive designs featuring characters from movies, TV shows, games, and more. Some halloween ugly sweaters are on sale for 25% off, and you can also get free shipping on orders over $50.
Etsy is a marketplace where you can find handmade and vintage items, including horror ugly Christmas sweaters. You can browse through different styles, colors, and sizes and choose from knitted, printed, or embroidered sweaters. Some popular horror themes on Etsy are Scream, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and Krampus.
Walmart is a retail giant that sells a variety of products, including clothing, electronics, groceries, and more. Walmart also has a collection of ugly sweaters, which are festive and humorous garments that are often worn during the holiday season.
Walmart’s ugly sweaters collection features different themes, such as Christmas, Hanukkah, Halloween, and more. You can find sweaters with light-up effects, 3D decorations, interactive elements, and popular characters from movies, TV shows, and games.
HalloweenCostumes.com offers a variety of ugly Halloween sweaters for adults and kids, featuring characters and elements from horror movies, TV shows, and books, such as Freddy Krueger, Pennywise, Coraline, The Exorcist, and more. You can find funny ugly sweaters, spooky, or festive designs, such as skeletons, pumpkins, bats, and ghosts. It has some of the best ugly sweaters we saw.
is a specialty retailer that sells costumes, accessories, and decorations for Halloween and other occasions. They have a collection of ugly Christmas sweaters that feature horror icons, such as Michael Myers, Leatherface, Annabelle, and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. These sweaters also have light-up features that add some extra flair.
You can check the current collection of horror ugly Christmas sweaters on Spirit Halloween here.
Proffesional Ugly Sweaters Designers
Fiverr is a platform where you can hire freelancers to provide various services, such as graphic design, illustration, and animation. You can find many talented artists who can create custom ugly sweater designs for you based on your preferences and specifications. You can also check their portfolios, reviews, and ratings to choose the best one for your project.
Here are some brief descriptions of some top-rated sellers who offer ugly Christmas sweater design services:
- Rahima09: Rahima is a Level 2 seller with a 5-star rating and over 300 reviews. She can design horror ugly Christmas sweaters and sweatshirts for you in less than 24 hours, with unlimited revisions and source files. She has a lot of experience creating funny, naughty, and festive designs for platforms such as Teespring, Merch by Amazon, and Shopify. You can check out her portfolio.
- Amol Roy: Amol is a Level 2 seller with a 5-star rating and almost 3,000 reviews. He can create ugly Christmas sweater designs for you in various formats, such as PNG, JPG, EPS, and AI. He can also provide mockups and print.
- Natasha Rehman: Natasha is a Level 2 seller with a 5-star rating and over 300 reviews. She can design ugly Christmas sweaters in 24 hours, with unlimited revisions and source files. She has much experience creating designs for different niches, such as animals, sports, music, and more. You can check out her portfolio.
Here are some reccomender ugly sweaters designers found of Fiverr:
Can You Design Your Ugly Sweater DIY?
You can DIY ugly sweaters using basic materials and tools, such as a plain sweater, felt, glue, scissors, pom-poms, sequins, buttons, and more. You can also use Christmas decorations, such as lights, garlands, ornaments, and tinsel, to make your sweater more festive. There are many creative and fun ideas for DIY horror ugly Christmas sweater, such as:
- A snowman sweater with a carrot nose and a scarf
- A reindeer sweater with antlers and a red nose
- A Christmas tree sweater with lights and ornaments
- A Santa sweater with a beard and a hat
- A gingerbread man sweater with candy buttons and icing
You can find more DIY ugly sweater ideas and instructions on the web, such as Videos on Youtube. In one of the latest video, “Auntie Coo Coo” teach you how to make some cheap ugly sweaters decoartion.
You can also customize your ugly Christmas sweater to suit your personality and style. The key is to have fun and be creative.
Ugly Sweaters Courses
Skillshare is an online learning community with thousands of classes for creative and curious people on illustration, design, photography, video, freelancing, and more. You can explore your creativity with hands-on classes and learn from industry leaders at your own pace.
We found some courses that related to Ugly Sweaters. Ugly Sweater in Photoshop – A Smart Effect is a Skillshare class by Jon Brommet, a graphic designer and illustrator. In this class, you will learn how to create a realistic knit pattern with any design using Photoshop filters and smart objects. You will also learn how to adjust the pattern size and effect and apply different designs to your sweater.
This class is suitable for beginners and intermediate Photoshop users who want to have some fun and create their ugly sweaters. The course has six lessons and a total duration of 24 minutes. You can buy Access here.
“Vintage Christmas Illustrations Gnome Snowman & Ugly Sweater No Draw Easy to Paint Watercolor Cards” is a Skillshare class by Megha Cassandra, a watercolor artist and educator. In this class, you will learn how to paint three easy, vintage, rustic Christmas illustrations using simple shapes and watercolors. You will not need to draw anything; use your brush and follow the instructor’s guidance. You will paint a blue snowman, a red gnome, and an ugly green sweater using three classic Christmas colors.
The class has six lessons and a total duration of 30 minutes, and it is suitable for beginners and anyone wanting to create cute and fun holiday items.