Not long ago, we wrote about some of the choices we made during the design process of the logo of this website. If you missed it, we wanted to make the logo red as possible since it is considered a “scary” color. The prominent colors are one of many questions we asked since almost every logo combined texts (with a specific font), graphic objects, and, of course, a purpose. Creating a horror logo may seem complex, but today you can make it in various ways with intelligent software or websites and relevant service suppliers.
What Is A Horror Logo?
As we all know, Horror is a genre of visual art that evokes fear, suspense, terror, or disgust in the viewer. It often depicts scenes or elements from horror fiction, such as monsters, ghosts, vampires, zombies, blood, gore, etc. You can find it in various media, such as paintings, drawings, comics, movies, video games, and logos.
A horror logo is a type of logo design that uses horror-themed symbols, fonts, colors, and effects to create a distinctive and memorable identity for a brand, product, service, or event. You can use it to attract attention, convey a message, or create an atmosphere of dread and terror.
Who Can Use A Scary Logo?
A horror logo can be helpful for anyone who wants to stand out from the crowd and appeal to a specific audience or niche. For example, it can be used by:
- Authors, publishers, or bookstores specializing in horror fiction or literature.
- Filmmakers, studios, or distributors that produce or showcase horror movies or shows. In this case, the logo may appear in the opening credits and official publications of the film or show, in the likes of posters, banners, and more.
- Game developers or platforms that create or offer horror games or genres.
- Podcasters, bloggers, or influencers that cover or review horror topics or media.
- Artists, designers, or creators that make or sell horror art or merchandise.
- Events, festivals, or attractions that feature or celebrate horror themes or culture.
What Are The Relevant Themes And Colors For A Horror Logo?
A horror logo can incorporate various themes and elements related to horror fiction or culture.
Some of the common themes and features are:
- Monsters: Creatures that are scary, grotesque, or unnatural, such as vampires, werewolves, zombies, aliens, etc.
- Ghosts: Spirits of the dead that haunt or torment the living, such as poltergeists, apparitions, phantoms, etc.
- Skulls: Symbols of death and decay that represent mortality, danger, or evil. We, of course, used a skull in our logo.
- Blood: A fluid that signifies life and violence that can indicate injury, pain, or murder.
- Knives: Sharp and deadly weapons that imply threat, harm, or violence.
- Pumpkins: These fruits are associated with Halloween and the supernatural. They can symbolize mystery, magic, or mischief.
A horror logo can also use colors appropriate for the genre and the mood. Some of the standard colors are:
- Black: A color representing darkness and mystery that can create a sense of fear and uncertainty.
- Red: A color representing blood and violence that can evoke a feeling of danger and aggression.
- Orange: Orange represents fire and light that can contrast with the darkness and create a sense of warmth and excitement.
- White: A color representing ghosts and bones that can contrast with the blood and create a sense of coldness and eeriness.
How To Create A Horror Logo?
There are different ways to create a horror logo, depending on your budget, time, skills, and preferences. Here are some of the options you can consider:
Horror Logo Generator
Using an online logo generator or a relevant App is the easiest and fastest way to create a horror logo. There are thousands of horror logo templates; you can customize them with text, colors, and icons. Some of these tools are free, while others require a subscription or a one-time payment to download your logo in high-quality formats. The advantage of this option is that you can create a scary logo in minutes without any design skills. The disadvantage is that you may not get a unique or original logo, as many others may use the same templates.
Some examples of free or paid horror logo generators are:
- BrandCrowd: A website that offers thousands of customizable horror logo designs for various purposes. You can browse the library of high-quality logo templates and select one you like. You can then change the color, icon, text, shape, and layout to make it unique. You can also find many spooky icons and styles in the free horror logo maker.
- FreePik: A website that provides free graphic resources for horror logos. You can find and download over 88000 vectors, stock photos, and PSD files for your scary logos project. You can edit them afterward using software like Photoshop or Illustrator to suit your needs.
- FLD Free Logo Design – Fast and easy tool to create HTML5 logos in just a few clicks. Offers a free version (a colored png file in a resolution of 200×200 pixels) and premium plans with higher resolution, social media kits, multiple color variations, email signatures, and more for up to 89.99$
Designing A Horror Logo On Your Own
Designing a horror logo is the most challenging and time-consuming way to create one, but it can save you money. Developing an excellent scary logo is a complex task, and only for some. To make it right, you must have design skills and software like Photoshop, Illustrator, or Canva to create your logo from scratch. The good news is that today you can design an impressive logo fast, and the rise of AI in recent years makes it even more straightforward.
You must also have a good sense of horror aesthetics, such as fonts, colors, shapes, and symbols that evoke fear and suspense. The advantage of this option is that you can create an entirely original horror logo tailored to your needs. The disadvantage is that you may spend a lot of time and effort on your logo, which may not look as professional or polished as the ones created by experts.
You can also use online resources like tutorials, blogs, or forums to learn more about the subject and get some horror logo ideas and inspiration (for example, from this list). But please don’t copy!
Using The Service Of A Designer
This is the most expensive and reliable way to create a horror logo. This option involves hiring a professional designer to create a horror logo for you. You can contact a designer who specializes in horror logo design or has a portfolio of similar designs. You can then communicate your vision, requirements, and feedback to the designer and let them handle the rest. You can also use platforms like 99designs or Fiverr to find and hire a designer for your project.
You can give them your brief, feedback, and revisions until you get your desired logo. The advantage of this option is that you can get a high-quality logo that matches your vision and style. The disadvantage is that you may have to pay a lot of money for your logo, and it may take some time to find and work with the right designer.
Here are some of the recommended horror logo design servicesa Halloweenhorror-styled on Fiverr:
How Much Does a Horror Logo Cost?
The cost of a horror logo depends on the option you choose and the quality you want. Here are some approximate prices for each option. Don’t take these prices for granted sicne they can change from client to client or over time:
- Free or paid horror logo generator: This option can cost you nothing or up to $50 per logo. Some online tools offer free designs that you can download in low-resolution formats, while others charge a fee for high-resolution formats or unlimited downloads. For example, BrandCrowd offers free low-res logos with watermarks or $45 for high-res logos without watermarks1. Placeit offers unlimited downloads of logos and other design assets for $14.95 per month or $99.95 per year. Freepik offers free logos with attribution or premium logos without attribution for $9.99 per month or $89.99 per year
- Designing a horror logo on your own: This option can cost you nothing or up to a few hundred bucks per logo. If you have your own design software and skills, you can create your scary logo for free. However, if you need to buy or subscribe to design software, you may have to pay some money for it. For example, Photoshop costs $20.99 per month or $239.88 per year. Illustrator costs $20.99 per month or $239.88 per year. GIMP is free and open-source.
- Using the designer’s service: This option can cost $5 to $5000 per logo. The price varies depending on the platform, the designer’s experience and reputation, the complexity and quality of the logo, and the number of revisions and concepts you want. For example, on 99designs, you can run a scary logo contest for $299-$1299 or hire an individual designer for $100-$2000. On Fiverr, you can find designers for as low as $5-$10 or as high as $100-$500. On Upwork, you can find relevant designers for $10-$100 per hour.
How To Choose The Best Scary Logo For You?
Choosing the best horror logo depends on your goals, audience, and preferences. Here are some tips to help you make the right decision:
- Know your purpose: What do you want your horror logo to achieve? Do you want to attract attention, create a memorable impression, or convey a message? Do you want your logo to represent your brand, project, or event? Do you want it to be simple, complex, or abstract? Knowing your purpose will help you narrow your options and choose a logo that suits your needs.
- Know your audience: Who are you trying to reach with your horror logo? What are their demographics, psychographics, and preferences? What are their expectations, fears, and desires? Knowing your audience will help you choose a scary logo that appeals to and resonates emotionally with them.
- Know your style: What is your personal or professional style? What are your favorite colors, fonts, shapes, and symbols? What are the trends and influences in the horror genre? Knowing your style will help you choose a horror logo that reflects your personality and taste. You can also seek inspiration from other logos you like or admire.
- Know your budget: How much will you spend on your horror logo? How much time do you have to create or get it done? Knowing your budget will help you choose a scary logo that fits your resources and expectations. You can also compare the prices and benefits of different options and platforms to find the best value for your money.